Summertime Jobs For Homeowners
Act Now to Protect Your Most Important InvestmentThe summertime is the perfect time to tackle those DIY projects that you have been putting off for months. Homeowners all over the country are most likely planning lots of home improvement jobs that can be immensely satisfying and at the same time add value to your home. Whilst redecorating is often desirable we should not ignore vital property maintenance that all our homes require. For homeowners this is also protecting what is probably their most important investment, the value of their properties. Here is a checklist of important jobs that should be tackled and there is no better time than now.
- Any signs of rising damp or penetrating damp should be investigated. (See our guide on checking for signs of damp)
- Check guttering and visually inspect the roof for problems.
- Remove any old or blistering paint from window frames and doors.
- Leaking guttering or blocked downpipes should be fixed.
- Repointing any crumbling mortar or brickwork.
According to the Federation of Master Builders, the following jobs should be left to the professionals:
- Damp-proofing, damp control. (See our article on Damp Treatment vs. Damp Control)
- Roof work, which inevitably requires scaffolding and safety procedures.
- Demolition of any structural walls, this will require building regulation and calculations.
- Anything covered by safety regulation such as gas and ventilation installation.
- Any work with poisons or hazardous chemicals.
- Substantial electrical work or rewiring.
If you have spotted a potential damp problem then your first step should be to request a FREE no obligation quote from us today, our Damp Specialists will inspect and advise and only recommend the installation of our Damp Control System if appropriate to your needs. You can see how the Schrijver Damp Control System works here. This Dutch Damp Control System is installed entirely from the outside and uses no harsh chemicals nor does it require redecorating or re-plastering like most damp-proofing solutions do.
Speak to any estate agent and they will tell you that a poor state of upkeep does have a significant negative effect on the price a property is likely to achieve. It is generally made worse by potential buyers overestimating the expense of remedial work, therefore, reducing an offer disproportionately. In the case of damp, this is even worse as the route cause may not be obvious therefore buyers will assume the worst as they may not know the best approach or costs to remedy.
Speak to us now to protect your home and add to its value. You can also benefit from our Summertime Special Offer and save 20% on all projects installed by the end of July 2017! To get in touch with a Damp Specialist please call 01689 800101.